UPDATE: I take it all back. I have found a really fast internet place, so have updated the last few days of action. Therefore I have also decided to stay in Buhara today. Will be a big day tomorrow to get to Turkmenistan border, but no worries. She’ll be right. Besides, it’s cold.
The panorama below is from Samarkand recently – at the Danilagar Bazaar – on a Sunday when all the bicycle bits sellers are out in force.
Written at 11am: Sorry, but this internet cafe I’m in is not playing nicely (can’t see the photos I have uploaded), and I’m in a rush to get to the Turkmenistan border by the end of tomorrow (30th Nov).
Therefore, this will be a quick update.
Leaving Samarkand was difficult. I rolled out of the warm hostel into a chilly 3 degrees at midday. By the time I had found my shelter for the night – an old steel rear end of a truck in a paddock – it was already -3 degrees. The next day was also cold, only getting to a high of 5 degrees in the midde of the day. Both days I was still cycling into the night, not stopping until 7pm due to the many people along the road side. Very difficult to find places to shelter for the night undisturbed.
Today I head for Turkmenistan. This should take about two days. I hope to then cycle to Merv – the small city in the middle of the desert – in two days, and then catch a bus or train for the remaining 1200km to Turkmenbasi where I catch a ferry to Azerbaijan across the Caspian Sea.
Therefore all going well, my next update should be in around a weeks time (the 5th or 6th of December). Until then, keep warm (no problem for the New Zealanders!).