14degrees off the beaten track
home | about | route | blog | photo gallery | vids | gear | FAQ | links | contact | PRESS | 14degrees off the beaten track in Japanese

April 7th, 2008 | categorizilation: all categories,USA (California)

« Previous Day                                                                                                   Next Day »

Nope. Stiff bickies. No 90-day visa application option for you, foreigner boy.

I typed out a full and detailed itinerary of my planned travels in China, included a brief employment summary, a formal letter of request to the Consulate General, and even attached photocopies of newspaper clippings of my journey across the USA. Gave this all to the friendly woman behind the glass at the consulate, and she tried her best to request that I be considered to be allowed to apply for a 90 day visa.

No luck.

Kinda puts me in a pickle.

On Wednesday I will be issued with a 30 day tourist visa for China. Skating across China in 30 days just ain’t gonna happen, mate.


So. My only option, I think, at this stage, I think, is to fly to Shanghai as planned. Once I get to Shanghai, hop on a train to Hong Kong, and try applying for the 90 day visa there. Right now I am trying to get a hold of a real person at the Chinese Embassy in Hong Kong. So far the number I call just gets me an automated message.

According to the automated message, and the Hong Kong Chinese Embassy website, anyone is eligible to apply for a 90 day visa. But that’s what the Chinese Consulate in Los Angeles‘s website also said, and it was obviously wrong. Outdated by about a week.
I really need to get a hold of someone at the Embassy in Hong Kong before I go trundling off down there…

Basically, it’s just a whole lot of annoying and frustrating time and expense in the works for me for the next two, maybe three weeks. A lot of chasing bits of paper. With New Zealand and China signing a Free Trade Agreement the other day, I thought the Consulate here in Los Angeles might have been a little more lenient regarding their policies…

Anyway…on a lighter note, I enjoyed hanging out with Kirk and Donna yesterday afternoon. Went for a wander in Hermossa Beach.

Hermossa Beach Pier, Hermossa Beach, California, USA

Hermossa Beach Pier, Hermossa Beach, California

Had delicious sushi for dinner.

Sushi restaurant in Hermossa Beach, California, USA

Watched the sun set. All very Baywatch.

Very Baywatch at Hermossa Beach, California, USA

« Previous Day                                                                                                   Next Day »

    Permanent Link     Comments (7)

Comment by Aunty Les — April 9, 2008 @ 12:48 am | post a comment

Maybe the word on the NZ-China trade agreement hasn't filtered through to the bloke at the desk of the Chinese Embassy. Better luck in Hongkong.

Comment by wim harwig — April 9, 2008 @ 3:30 am | post a comment

contact Rob Luxton ! Maybe he knows the best way to let things happen.

I think he is in Hongkong this month….

Comment by AbrasiveScotsman — April 9, 2008 @ 7:32 am | post a comment

Well, if the Chinese wont let you in, you can always go back to NZ for a break. I think there is a quote in Tolkien somewhere to the effect of "You haven't really been anywhere until you get home".

If anyone knows where this quote is, I'd appreciate it because I've been hunting high and low.

Comment by kathy o — April 9, 2008 @ 9:01 am | post a comment

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow."

Lin Yutang (Chinese writer and inventor, 1895-1976)

Comment by uncle Lindsay — April 9, 2008 @ 3:23 pm | post a comment

Hi Rob, came out of retirement for a time like this. Since 27th March single entry visas only issued because of Olympic Games Security. But you can get a 60 day visa ONLY IF YOU ASK FOR IT! Must be used within 60 days of requesting it.

Suggest when visa expires you fly back to HKG and get a 30 day visa to finish off.

Two offices ..China Travel Services, Ground Floor CTS House 78-83 Conneight Road Central Hong Kong . This is their HQ

The other is CTS Tsimshatsui First floor Alpha House 27-33 Nathan Road Kowloon. This is the one I would suggest.

Both are open daily Email Hotline 23157188

If they want any endorsement/ verification E mail me on I will try and pull some strings, but this policy is from the top with no exceptions.I dont know whether the protests will implode the games, but they will keep things very much under control especially in China.

Maybe my idea of a ride on mower from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska is more appealing.

Keep up the tremendous job. We are all proud of you

Comment by Rob Thomson — April 9, 2008 @ 3:34 pm | post a comment

Uncle Lindsay, thanks for the info. Awesome. I did some calling around myself, and the official word is that I can indeed apply for a 60 day visa, but they are double entry visas, and each stay in the country must not exceed 30 days. So, basically it just saves some time in terms of having to reapply. If your contacts have other info, or can indeed arrange a 60 day single entry, let me know.

So, the idea at the moment is to go to China on my 30 day visa, extend it once, then once the 30 day extension runs out, fly or train to HK to get a new visa.

I will keep you in mind, for sure, when the time comes to reapply for my visa.

Comment by Lee — April 18, 2008 @ 12:28 am | post a comment

Superb Baywatch sunset, dude. But now I have the song in my head…

Hooray for making it across (despite the infinite frustration of the 15 ks of non-permitted bit).

Will keep catching up, but had to comment on the photo. Awesomeness.


Leave a comment

* required fields